I had actually made this dish a few days ago and never posted it because I never had the time to pick out the photos.
This dish and braised soy sauce chicken are two of my favorite dishes because first of all, braising the meat ensures that it is oh-so-tender and that it will be packed with taste. The sauce on rice is simply divine and I usually soak it through and through with sauce.. My husband will joke that I like my sauce with a side of rice!
The below recipe was modified from my chinese cookbook bible to accommodate more meat (to enjoy for a few more meals) and also adapted for the use of a pressure cooker.
If you like a little (or more) zing to the meat, eat with chopped Thai Chilli and cool down with some cucumber slices!
Braised Pork Ribs with (Hard Boiled) Eggs
Adapted from: The Best of Chinese Cooking by Betty Saw
Serves: 6 Prep time: 8min Cook time: 20min under pressure; 1 hour in regular pot
- 2.5 to 3 lb pork ribs (boneless, country style, cut into 3/4 in cubes)
- 12 cloves garlic (sliced or pounded with mortar and pestle)
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 8 hard boiled eggs (shelled)
- Heat oil in pressure cooker under the Sauté function.
- Add garlic and sugar. Cook until sugar turns into a light caramel.
- Add combined sauce ingredients except the broth into pressure cooker.
- Add in pork and THEN pour broth to make sure it comes up to 3/4 of pork. Make sure the broth amount is at least the minimum required liquid needed for your pressure cooker.
- Lock pressure cooker and set to High pressure and a cooking time of 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile hard boil the eggs. (I pressure steam my eggs till it is ‘hard boiled’ before cooking this dish)
- When 20 minutes is up, Quick-release the pressure to open lid.
- Add in the shelled hard boiled eggs and close the lid (no need to lock). Leave for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Heat oil in wok and add garlic and sugar. Cook until sugar turns into light caramel.
- Add the combined sauce ingredients (yes including the broth, except add another 1/2 cup of broth since the braising process will vaporize some of the broth) and bring to a boil
- Add pork and turn heat to low to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add shelled hard boiled eggs and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!